If your wisdom tooth doesn’t cause you any pain, it means that the tooth has broken through the gum line properly and can develop without causing any dental problems.
However, this is not the case for some individuals. If there is not enough room for the tooth to grow, it can lead to impacted wisdom teeth.
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause pain and infection because of their poor position in your mouth. This can lead to:
- Pain and discomfort
- Infections in the overlying gum
- Damage to the adjacent tooth of the impacted tooth
- Problems to previous orthodontic treatment
- Difficulty in cleaning the back teeth, which may cause tooth decay and gum disease
As part of your dental visit, your dentist at Smiles Nambour will examine you to see if your wisdom teeth are free of potential problems and are in healthy condition and proper position.
Wisdom Teeth Procedure
- The dentist will determine if there’s sufficient space for the teeth to grow by taking X-rays.
- After the X-ray, the dentist will then determine if the tooth can be easily extracted.
- A decision will be made on whether a tooth extraction should be done inside the dental surgery or be done by another specialist, an oral surgeon.
- The dentist will use anaesthesia to numb the area. They may also use sedation for anxious patients to keep them relaxed throughout the procedure.
- After the procedure, the dentist will provide detailed post-operative instructions to help you recover faster and avoid complications such as dry socket.
What To Expect After The Procedure?
After the surgery, you may experience some pain and swelling around the extraction site, which is normal for the wisdom teeth procedure. Your Nambour dentist will ensure that you are properly guided in dealing with the discomforts following the treatment.
In addition, we will provide medications and detailed and comprehensive post-operative instructions before you leave the clinic. Further dental appointment may be needed to monitor your healing process and guarantee the success of surgery. All these things are essential and necessary for your oral health and overall wellbeing.
The Effects of Smoking After Wisdom Teeth Procedure
Smoking after wisdom teeth removal procedure can be a reason for different complications. It can delay your healing process and increases your at risk of dry socket.
In the news
According to the American Dental Association (ADA), smoking can also affect your sense of taste and smell and delay your recovery after a tooth extraction or other dental procedure.
In addition, the tar from cigarette smoke stains your teeth, causes bad breath and can discolour your tongue. The only way to remove these stains is with a professional cleaning in the dentist’s office.
Wisdom Teeth Removal Procedure in Nambour
Smiles Nambour has extensive experience in wisdom teeth removal procedures. If your wisdom tooth causes problems, don’t hesitate to see us as soon as possible. Our skills and modern techniques allow us to deliver a safe and comfortable extraction procedure.
Same Day Appointment Available, Request it Now!