Mouthguards are flexible customised devices that are also ideal to wear while you are under orthodontic treatments, bridgework or just an advanced way to safeguard your teeth from possible trauma.
Common Types of Mouthguards
Not all mouthguards are the same. They are designed for different fit and condition with a one goal of protecting the teeth of both children and adult.
Stock mouthguards can range from small, large and medium sizes. You can easily purchase them at some sporting goods store. Stock mouthguards can be attached easily and may require replacement in sports season. Though they are the least expensive among other types of mouthguards, they are not the best option when it comes to comfort and protection.
This mouthguard is made of thermoplastic. To use the boil-and-bite mouthguard, it must be boiled in water first for less than a minute; then, apply pressure while forming the device to the teeth. If the fit is not that comfortable, you can reheat and refit the mouthguard.
These are created in the dental office or laboratory depending on the instruction of your dentist. Custom-fitted mouthguards are quite expensive yet they provide the greatest comfort and defense for your mouth. To get the exact fit, your dentist will get the impression of your teeth. A dental laboratory operator will use this impression as a mold to make the customised mouthguard.
The Benefits of Wearing Mouthguards
There are many reasons why you should wear mouthguards before doing your favourite physical activity. Here are the top advantages of using mouthguards:
- Protects against chipped or broken teeth, tooth loss as well as root and bone damage.
- Defends against serious injuries like jaw fracture, concussion, cerebral hemorrhage and neck injuries.
- Prevents cuts and bruises of the lips, tongue and cheeks, particularly for athletes wearing orthodontic appliances.
The Ideal Mouthguard to Use
When looking for the best mouthguard, you must always consider the quality and the protection it can offer. To help you look for the ideal mouthguard, here are some of the characteristics to check out for:
- Shields teeth, bone structure, soft tissue and jaw bone
- Reduces the chances of neck injuries and concussion
- Offers exceptional ease and fit to the maxillary arch
- Shows protective assets including high power absorption as well as power distribution all through the expansion
- Lets you speak and breath comfortably
- Stays in place throughout the action, securely and safely.
- Must be odourless, tasteless, durable and long-lasting.
How to find the best mouthguards in Nambour
Caring your teeth doesn’t end with your oral hygiene. People who are active in sports or any recreational activity, including adults and children who have teeth grinding condition (bruxism) are advised to wear mouthguards so as to get the maximum protection their teeth and mouth needs. Here at Smiles Nambour, we completely provide excellent quality on mouthguards with the help of our first-rate dental equipment, in order for you to stay comfortable and protected while using them. With us, you can be sure that your oral health will always be in good hands.