Given how many parties the holiday season is filled with and the prevalence of sweets served at these parties, our smiles need all the help they can get this time of year.
That’s why, all of us at Smiles Nambour, would like to share a few oral care tips with you, in addition to wishing you all a merry Christmas and a happy New Year. To help you have a healthy holiday season we’ve included four tips for a healthy advent calendar as well as eight tips that will help you achieve general dental health through the season, and emerge in the New Year with a healthy, stunning smile!
Make A Healthy Advent Calendar
If you’re creating an advent calendar, cut back on the focus on chocolates and sweets. Instead, use the following four tactics to give you child a healthy, fun calendar!
- A Puzzling Treat – Give your child a mental challenge in the form of a customized puzzle. Draw a picture or write a special message on a blank puzzle. Break the pieces apart and place one puzzle piece in each day of your advent calendar.
- Holiday Activity Fun – Come up with fun holiday activities that you can do together as a family. Write down an activity on a slip of paper and tuck one note into each day of your advent calendar.
- Sugar-Free Trinkets – Find some simple trinkets to fill each day on your calendar instead of candy. Try the dollar store for inexpensive gifts.
- Story-A-Day – Nothing beats a good story. Pick out a holiday-themed book for every day of your countdown. Have your child open a new book each night at bedtime and read it together.
General Tips For The Season
- Maintain your regular brushing and flossing routine. Brush twice a day and in between snacks if possible. One way you can do this is by keeping a travel-size toothbrush with you. If you’re not able to do this, another simple way you can keep your teeth clean and fight cavities is with xylitol Also, floss regularly and drink plenty of water.
- Dip into veggies.At holiday events, skip the trays of Christmas cookies and brownies and instead load your plate with veggies.
- Don’t forget your dentist!The holidays can be a busy time, but that doesn’t mean you can forget about your teeth. If you are due for a teeth cleaning or need work done, don’t forget to visit your Smiles Nambour dentist in December.
- Protect your teeth during games. Wear a mouthguard whenever you play sports – or reindeer games – this winter. Smiles Nambour offers custom-fitted mouthguards.
- Drink water. You need a lot of energy for holiday activities, but avoid drinking sodas, sports drinks and juices with lots of sugar. Instead, drink water with fluoride in it to keep your teeth strong and healthy.
- Give the gift of electricity. Consider a nice electric toothbrush in the stocking this year. Electric toothbrushes are surprisingly inexpensive and are great for your dental health! Electric toothbrushes are a good gift choice, because they rotate 3,000 to 7,500 times per minute and can remove hard to get to plaque. In some cases, you can also pair up the electric toothbrush with apps that play two minutes of music, track your habits, and offer oral care tips! Or, in view of the season, time your brushing with recordings of Christmas carols!
- Don’t use your teeth for anything but chewing and smiling – Far-too-many people use their teeth to not only chew their food, but to also open packages, tear tape, cut ribbon, and perform many other tasks that teeth aren’t designed to do. This holiday season, use your teeth only for what they’re meant for – chewing and smiling. Anything else will put your oral health at risk and even in a dental emergency.
- Watch the sweets and chocolates. It’s no secret that most of us eat far too many sweets, chocolates and generally unhealthy foods during the holiday season. This increase in the quantity of sugar consumed is likely to create more acids and bacteria that can attack our teeth and gums. Whilst we wouldn’t expect patients to eliminate these entirely, it is worth considering tooth friendly alternatives such as nuts and cheese that are less acidic and can help to avoid some of the damage that sugar can do.
Dentistry at Smiles Nambour
Keep your teeth and healthy and bright even in the Holidays. At Smiles Nambour , your trusted dentist in the Nambour Region, we provide top-quality dentistry with the help of cutting-edge instruments and caring staff! Smiles Nambour is the perfect choice for dental care during the holiday season and beyond. At Smiles Nambour we offer treatment for the full range of dental health issues.