What are Fissure Sealants?
Sealants help to preserve your child’s smile for a lifetime.
Fissure Sealants form a protective barrier by bonding to tooth surfaces and covering natural depressions and grooves called pits and fissures in the teeth.
There is no specific age at which sealants are indicated. Often, we will recommend the application when the first permanent back teeth (six-year molars) appear.
This is a painless procedure in which the chewing surface of the tooth is thoroughly cleaned, conditioned with a special solution and dried, which helps the sealant to bond more effectively to the tooth. The sealant is then applied to the tooth surface and hardens with the help of visible light. The procedure takes only a few minutes.
The Importance and Benefits of Fissure Sealants
Tooth decay is a prevalent dental problem, especially among the younger population. If left untreated, tooth decay can result in various oral health issues such as periodontal disease, bad breath, tooth discolouration and even tooth loss. Thus, preventing tooth decay in the first place is crucial before such complications can develop.
Here’s why you and your child can benefit from sealants:
- Fissure sealants can reduce the development of tooth decay for up to 90 to 100 per cent if applied properly.
- Sealants are not only for children. Adults who have pits and grooves in the biting surfaces of their back teeth may also benefit from dental sealants.
- People suffering from frequent dry mouth can get additional protection from fissure sealants since insufficient amount of saliva makes their teeth susceptible to cavities.
- Fissure sealant is an excellent treatment that helps you avoid stresses and expenses caused by various dental problems.
- Fissure sealants make your teeth much easier to clean.
- Because they resemble the shade of your teeth, sealants are less noticeable and change almost nothing on your teeth’s appearance.
Fissure sealants can last many years. At your subsequent dental appointments, we see to it that these sealants are intact. Occasionally, we might need to replace or add a new layer to keep this protective barrier intact.
Guard Your Teeth against Decay with Fissure Sealants at Smiles Nambour
Prevention is the key to avoiding various dental problems and keeping your mouth in healthy condition. One of the best ways to do this is by protecting your teeth using fissure sealants in Sunshine Coast. Starting preventative dental treatments early can help ensure that your child’s precious teeth are healthy and guarded from decay. Learn how fissure sealants can be highly effective on preventing pit and fissure caries in children and adults.