If your tooth discolouration occurs on the uppermost layers of your tooth enamel, your Smiles Nambour dentist offers enamel microabrasion treatment.
Enamel microabrasion is a highly effective cosmetic procedure that involves accurate removal a very small portion of enamel.
The procedure is a great alternative to teeth whitening procedures as well as porcelain veneers.
Enamel microabrasion is an ideal way to restore the beauty and health of your damaged teeth without drilling into your precious pearly whites.
Candidacy for Enamel Microabrasion
There are various types of stains that don’t respond to other teeth whitening solutions. You can be a good candidate for microabrasion if you have any of the following types of stains:
- White stains due to decalcification
- White and brown stains caused by fluorosis
- Tooth stains caused by use of tetracycline and other medications
- White, yellow, and brown discolouration that result from trauma or dental braces
Enamel Microabrasion Procedure
The microabrasion procedure is quick and painless. It only takes an hour to complete the treatment.
The procedure involves the following steps:
- Your dentist will isolate the teeth using a rubber dam to avoid damage to the gums from the acid and pumice materials.
- The microabrasion material is gently scrubbed onto the enamel manually or using a slow speed rubber cup
- The mixture is rinsed from the treated teeth after it removes a few surface layers of enamel
- Your dentist will evaluate the results
- This process is repeated until you and your dentist are satisfied with the result
- After this step, the treated teeth are bathed in fluoride gel to avoid tooth sensitivity after the procedure.
- The rubber dam is removed.